The Bay Horse on Broad Street was first recorded in 1863 and a few years later in the Salford Reporter advertising "good ale and porter." Next door to the Bay Horse in the 1880s was a fried fish shop (a chippy?) which drew complaints to the authorities ("disagreeable to the neighbourhood") and in 1886 the problem was solved by incorporating the shop into the pub .
Bay Horse, Broad Street, Salford, 1970. (c) Neil Richardson .
The frontage was extended into the front garden later, before Groves & Whitnall took ownership and they rebuilt it into the three-storey pub shown here. The Bay Horse became known as 'The Monkey' as the landlord from the 1920s to 1940s, John McKinna, kept a pet monkey in the pub. From the 1950s, Greenall Whitley assumed ownership before it closed in January 1971 . The former location of the Bay Horse was roughly where Almond Close is today.
Bay Horse, Broad Street, Salford. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr .
1. Salford Pubs - Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).