Just up Adelphi Street past the still open Old Pint Pot (former Adelphi Riverside, and still to do) and lost Brewery Tavern, on the same side as the former, was the Goodwill Tavern. In the 1830s a log wood mill stood here on the banks of the meandering River Irwell, being run by John Arrowsmith who is also recorded as beer seller at the tavern. In 1875 the authorities tried to close the Goodwill Tavern, as the premises didn't have the required rateable value, but improvements were made and it lasted into the next century. The last licensee was Norah Glennon in 1903, although soon after engineering works were built over the site, and these themselves have recently been knocked down:
Former location of Goodwill Tavern, Adelphi Street, Salford. (c) googlemaps.
1. Salford Pubs - Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).