Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Monday, 7 February 2011

Dock & Pulpit / Borough, Bank Place

Dock & Pulpit, Bank Place, Salford. (c)

Today's apparent non-story about the Mark Addy being knocked down by Salford Council due to their blanket compulsory purchase order of property in the area brought up this forgotten pub, hidden away off Chapel Street on Bank Place.  The Dock & Pulpit, formerly The Borough, has only been closed since the late 1990s, and is meant to be being either converted into two apartments, demolished and new flats being built in its place, or even converted into offices or a bar/restaurant [1].  Since the above photo was taken the Dock & Pulpit has deteriorated in appearance and remains empty.

Dock & Pulpit, Bank Place, Salford. (c) Eddie_Manchester at flickr.

The Borough Arms beerhouse opened behind St Philip's Church and next to the County Court in about 1860, kept by John Norbury who also gained a billiard licence in 1863.  In 1890 the Altrincham Brewery Company.  sold the pub to Chesters Brewery before it went to Whitbread then Burtonwood Brewery in 1977.

Borough Arms, Bank Place, 1990. (c) deltrems at flickr.

In the 1975 guide the Borough is described as a quiet (empty), two room pub with good cask Trophy [2]. The Borough's last owners were Jo and Andy Davies, before it reopened as the Dock & Pulpit in 1994 for a final handful of years, named after the grand building in Encombe Place which it abuts [3].

Salford County Court, Encombe Place. (c)

2. The Manchester pub Guide, Manchester & Salford City Centres (1975).
3. Salford Pubs - Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).

No comments:

Post a Comment