Three doors up from the Higher Turk's Head on Shudehill was the Duke of York in the 1800s . These days Mayes Street meets up with Shudehill as seen above, but in the 1880s it stopped just short, ending at the lost North Street which ran behind and parallel to the upper part of Shudehill . The Duke of York stood exactly where the junction and would have faced the Smithfield Markets across the road (rather than the Crowne Plaza today), so, along with the dozen or so other pubs surrounding the markets, would likely have been a traders and hawkers pub.
1. Manchester (New Cross) 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2009).