Down a little alleyway off Bridge Street, just a few doors down from Sawyers Arms, is this grand but hidden building. The sign 'Hollins Chambers 1925' shows it was the old offices of Hollins law firm . Before the chambers were built, the Cheshire Tavern stood here, run by George A. Scudamore in the mid 1800s .
Former location of Cheshire Tavern, Hollins Chambers, Bridge Street, 2010. (c) googlemaps.
The Cheshire Tavern's address was (and the chamber's is, these days) 64a Bridge Street, but the shot below shows a sign for Bradleys Court. This is one of Manchester's modern-day hidden streets, as it's not on (m)any maps, nor is it visible from the main street.
Bradleys Court, off Bridge Street. (c) radaris.com.
2. Manchester City Centre 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2008).