Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Saturday, 11 June 2011

Duke of Lancaster Arms, East Market Street

Former location of the Duke of Lancaster, East Market Street. (c) googlemaps.

Opposite the New Oxford and just past the Salford Magistrates Court, the old Town Hall, is an ugly, modern white building, apparently a telephone exchange.  On this corner of Browning Street and East Market Street was the Duke of Lancaster Arms, also referred to as the Duchy Arms.  The street was named after the market that was held behind the Town Hall and the Duke of Lancaster was established as a market pub by 1822.  When it was advertised in the 1850s, the pub was described as having a bar, sitting rooms, club room, seven bedrooms, a seven-barrel brewery and a large yard for stabling 20 horses.  In the early 1900s it was a Kays Atlas Brewery house then Stockport's Robinson's took it in 1929.  The Duke of Lancaster survived war damage and lasted until the mid-1960s when it was included in the Trinity No.6 clearance scheme [1].

Former location of Duke of Lancaster, East Market Street (white building). (c) googlemaps.

1. Salford Pubs - Part One: The Old Town including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi. Neil Richardson (2003).

No comments:

Post a Comment