Queens Arms, Sidney Street, Salford, 1922. 13: Queens Arms, 14: Wigan Arms, 15: St Johns Tavern. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Wigan Arms stood next door to the Queens Arms on Sidney Street, near to Ye Old Nelson. Although it opened in 1860 under John Halliwell, 20 years after its neighbour, its better trade (and the Scuttlers) eventually saw off the Queens Arms. An 1878 licensee, Edward Read, had come to the Wigan Arms in Salford from a Hilton Street beerhouse, an area of Manchester notorious for its illegal betting shops. The police soon caught him at it when his in-pub bookies was raided .
Former location of Wigan Arms, Sidney Street, Salford. (c) googlemaps.
The Sun Brewery of Ford Lane, Salford was listed as the owners of the Wigan Arms in 1876 before Groves & Whitnall had the pub, 20 years later. The Wigan Arms lasted until about 1960 when it was included in the compulsary purchase orders for the Islington area of Salford. The last licensee was Betsy Lyons . Now this area is nowt but a car park; the exact site of the Wigan Arms being two houses down from the car park entrance (formerly Mason Street) on the right down Sidney Street, where North Star Drive has chopped the street in half.
Queens Arms. Sidney Street, Salford. (c) googlemaps.
1. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).