The pub shown on the corner of Chapel Street and Sidney Street on the above 1922 map extract is the still standing and recently closed Ye Olde Nelson. On the other side of Sidney Street past the closed (spot the theme) solicitors is a car park and this used to be Mason Street. Just past Mason Street were two neighbouring pubs, the Queens Arms and Wigan Arms (there was another, unnamed beershop further down Sidney Street, past where the newer North Star Drive cuts across ). The Queens Arms was run by Adam Scott from 1840 and by 1890 the beerhouse was owned by the Cardwell & Company brewers of Hulme. Wilsons Brewery took over the Queens in 1899 but in 1906 the police reported that it was frequented by "youths of the Scuttler class" at the brewster sessions. Next door was also doing better trade - down to a barrel and a half of beer a week - so the Queens closed and Wilsons were compensated £698 .
Queens Arms. Sidney Street, Salford. (c) googlemaps.
1. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).