A few yards down Chester Road towards town from the Railway and still open Pomona Palace, is this imposing former pub on the corner with Ellesmere Street. The Commercial Hotel still had two Bass signs hanging until recently whose head shots hint at a more recent name.
Commercial Hotel, Chester Road, Hulme. (c) Google 2011 - View Larger Map.
Indeed, Bob Potts' book confirms that the Commercial Hotel later became the Turville and then the Last Hop . The pub dates back to the 1870s and was granted a spirits licence in 1896. Its prominent location and fine architecture led to this "unusual and distinctive building" being listed in 1994 . From British Listed Buildings, the Turville: "Red brick with sandstone dressings, slate roof. Fanciful Italianate style. Two storeys with cellar and attic, 7-bay side walls, with sill-band and very prominent cornice to ground floor, arcaded windows to 1st floor...."
1. The Old Pubs of Hulme & Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).