This building clad in scaffolding and sheeting straddles Quay Street and Atkinson Street on Deansgate. In the mid-1800s the Old Golden Lion sat two doors up from the Royal Oak and next door but one to Cupid's Alley, which was a more romantic name for the modern day Atkinson Street . Beneath the scaffolding are several businesses; the Old Golden Lion sat just about where the Mobden Sharps is today next to the Tantune Deli & Coffee House.
Former location of Old Golden Lion, Deansgate. (c) www.192.com / Local Data Company.
1. Manchester City Centre 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2008).