This building on the corner of Chapel Street and Booth Street, just a few doors down from the still open Rovers Return, was the Punch Bowl. It's a Grade II listed building and the listing incorporates another old pub to the rear, the Wagon & Horses, both which apparently date back to 1817 . To the rear of the Punch Bowl was the separate Peggy's Bar in the 1970s , which one presumes is the old Wagon & Horses premises.
Former Punch Bowl, Chapel Street. (c) Google 2011. View Larger Map.
In the mid-1970s the Punch Bowl was a highly recommended pub, offering decent Tetley's on electric pump, Guinness, Double Diamond and Skol. The interior decor included military artefacts, French seaside postcards, cigarette cards and flags. There was also a painting of Salford in which every building was a pub, plus a "Tetley's Lord's Prayer" written by an old regular .
Former Punch Bowl, Chapel Street. (c) Salford.gov.uk.
Our brewer which art in heaven,
Tetley be thy name;
Thy bitter come, it will be drunk,
In Earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily beer,
And forgive us our abstinence,
As we forgive those that endorse prohibition;
And lead us not to Wilsons, and deliver us from Chesters,
For thine is the bitter, the mild, pale and lager,
Forever and ever... Hic.
Punch Bowl, Chapel Street, 1975. (c) Manchester Pub Surveys .
2. The Manchester Pub Guide, Manchester and Salford City Centres, Manchester Pub Surveys (1975).