Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Monday 7 March 2011

Cornbrook Inn, Chester Road

Cornbrook Inn, Chester Road, 1990. (c) deltrems at flickr.

Shown above in 1990, the Cornbrook Inn is no more but unlike its old neighbour, the former Turville / Commercial on the right, it has been pulled down.  The Cornbrook Inn was a Peter Walker & Son brewery pub and a Vaux house when it was demolished in 1996 [1].  The Cornbrook kept its original brown and blue tiling until its demolition.  Inside it was a two-roomed pub around a central bar offering Vaux Bitter and Vaux Samson Bitter [2].

1. The Old Pubs of Hulme & Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).
2. www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/74741.

2 comments:

  1. My grandparents used to run this pub in the early 1960s.I remember my parents driving past it many times and mentioning it when I was younger but I never realised until now that my parents address on my birth certificate was 256 Chester Road, Manchester, (the Cornbrook).
    My grandparents went on to run another real ale pub in Hertfordshire during the seventies. It's a shame it closed because I would love to visit it.
    My grandparents were Horace&Phillis Batchelor, unfortunately both now deceased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in there until 1959.

    ReplyDelete