Down Oldfield Road from the St Phillips Hotel (later Jollies), was the Prince of Wales at No.165. It was pulled down at some point in the 1990s despite being a still popular pub in the preceding decades, and has been replaced with "The Fusion" apartments on the corner of Middlewood Street (note how the brick wall - the start of the railway bridge - is still the same). In the 1970s it was described as a "good Northern end-of-the-street-pub" with Tetley bitter and mild on beer engines and Skol and Guinness on keg .
Former location of Prince of Wales, Oldfield Road, Salford. (c) googlemaps.
The Prince of Wales was originally a shop when Samuel Lord opened it as the fully licensed Railway and Drovers Inn. By 1845 the pub had assumed the Prince of Wales name although in the directory it was listed as the Prince of Wales and Yorkshire House in the 1860s-'70s. The pub was rebuilt in the early 20th century by Cornbrook Brewery and included a shop next door which was a hairdressers then funeral parlour. By 1949 the Prince of Wales was included in th Hampson Street compulsory purchase area but it was spared following a change of plans and Bass Charrington had it in the 1960s when they incorporated the shop into the pub. A final stint as a freehouse from 1985 saw it last until closure and demolition in 2001 .
1. The Manchester Pub Guide, Manchester & Salford City Centres (1975).
2. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).