The still standing Bell Tower was built as the Angel Hotel in 1901, replacing the old Angel which had stood here, the last on Chapel Street on an area which has been known as Broken Bank, White Cross Bank and Bank Parade. The pub dates back to 1760 and in 1801 it was taken over by Richard Kay who moved there from the Castle Inn, Hunts Bank. In 1889 local brewers Watson & Woodhead took the pub before it was decided, in 1898, to build a new, improved Angel. The old pub, a five-roomed boozer, was replaced by a three-room plus dining room hotel. Walker & Homfray took over in 1902 then Wilsons in the 1950s before closing as a pub in the late 1970s or early '80s . By this time the pub had become atmosphere and character-free according to the 1975 Pub Guide; only push button Wilsons and Watneys Red Barrell available . Regal Knight Hotels converted the Angel Hotel into the Bell Tower Hotel in 1987, with its traditional Lowry's Bar and an attached wine bar called Finney's. The hotel closed for good in 1998 .
Bell Tower, Chapel Street. (c) googlemaps.
1. Salford Pubs - Part One: the Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).
2. The Manchester Pub Guide, Manchester & Salford City Centres (1975).