The Halfway House stood at 49 City Road, just opposite and south of where the Boatman's Home used to be until quite recently. It is thought its name came from the fact it was halfway between Manchester city centre and the Old Trafford border. Thomas Travis Shore took over the Half Way House in 1914 when the pub was a Taylor's Eagle Brewery house, but when Taylor's Eagle ceased brewing in 1924 it was supplied by Marston's of Burton-on-Trent which came to Manchester by rail then horse and cart. Shore was renowned for keeping great Mild and the family kept the Half Way House through the Second World War until 1950 and it closed for good in 1963 as yet more streets around it were demolished in the slum clearances .
Former site of Half Way House, City Road (East), treed area to right. (c) googlemaps.
1. The Old Pubs of Hulme & Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts/Neil Richardson (1997).