"Looking towards the Bridge Inn on New Bailey Street from the riverside path (now the site of the Mark Addy pub) in the 1820s." (c) Neil Richardson .
The Bridge Inn was the first licensed house on New Bailey Street, on the Salford side of the bridge that links to Bridge Street, Manchester. Opening in 1807, it was sold to Benjamin Joule (father of J. P. Joule) in 1830 who also had a brewery on New Bailey Street. The drawing above shows its three stories, the upper two of which included a club room, nursery, tea room, malt room, plus five bedrooms. When plans were afoot to improve the bridge, widening on the Salford side necessitated a chunk of the Bridge Inn's front being lost. Joule decided to knock the pub down and build a new hotel on the site once Albert Bridge was built. His new hotel opened in 1854 as the Albert Hotel & Bridge Inn and by 1890 Groves & Whitnall had acquired it. At some point after 1913 Boddington's Brewery took it over until it was destroyed in the Blitz in WWII, with Thomas Swindlehurst its last licensee .
1. Salford Pubs. Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).