In 1647 Manchester's licensing records had just one, unnamed alehouse in Hulme, kept by Margaret Preston. In 1739 a James Williamson was recorded as keeping the Blue Ball at the top of Chester Road and it's thought that this is the same pub as Preston's . In more recent times the Blue Ball was located on the corner of Owen Street until it lost its licence in 1954. This is just after where Chester Road turns into Deansgate, but it is likely that the original Blue Bell was a little south of here as part of a farmstead, on the other side of Chester Road where Castle Quay is now (therefore near Choice Bar & Restaurant and Lava Café Bar) .
1. The Old Pubs of Hulme & Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts/Neil Richardson (1997).