Clynes Vaults, Oxford Road, 1965. (c) Bob Potts .
The Clynes Vaults was a Wilsons house that sat on Oxford Road, just south of Charles Street. That puts it pretty much at where the entrance to the BBC Building is now, itself which may be about to be lost when Auntie's staff decamp to Media City at Salford Quays. The pub was named after the licensee, Thomas Clynes, in the 1870s and early 1880s. He then took over the Cavendish Arms on Cavendish Street and renamed it Clynes Wine Bar which lasted about a century.
Clynes eventually sold up to Naval Brewery of Hulme and the Clynes Vaults and Clynes Wine Bar both passed to Wilsons Brewery. In 1905 Clynes Vaults was known as Jesse Burton's Wine Bar (again, after the new owner) but he departed in 1908 and the pub was renamed the Clyne Vaults until it closed in 1968  (the BBC Building was built in 1976). Locals nicknamed the Clyne's Vaults as the Three Nuns due to the three spinsters that lived there at one time.
1. The Old Pubs of Hulme & Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).