Dover Castle, Highclere Avenue, Cheetwood. (c) Google 2012. View Larger Map.
The "Big Dover" (so called due to the Dover Inn on nearby Fenney Street) is one of the latest inner city pubs to close its doors for the last time. This 13-roomed boozer on Highclere Avenue just off Waterloo Road is now tinned up and available for the paltry sum of £180,000 . On the Salford border in Cheetwood, the Dover Castle is surrounded by new housing but sadly the new residents don't appear to need a pub on their doorstep.
Dover Castle, Highclere Avenue, Cheetwood. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr .
The original address of the Dover Castle was Garnett Street when it was opened in 1874, the licence of the beerhouse transferring from an original Dover Castle on Palmer Street off Gravel Lane when Exchange Station was built. The area known locally as Murraytown, was served solely by the Dover Castle, which was fully licensed in 1882 and a Threlfalls house by 1892. Whitbread took over in the 1960s, escaping demolition in 1963, before passing to Chesters in the '80s and Burtonwood in the '90s .
3. Salford Pubs Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).