The Cardigan Arms sat on the corner of James Street and George Street, the former of which is better known these days for boasting the Islington Mill gig venue. George Street is now known as Islington Way and the lower end is now carried on as James Street, while Rodney Street now meets here at the crossroads. On this corner the Free Trade Vaults beerhouse opened in around 1848. It was renamed the Cardigan Arms in the 1890s and was then owned by Walkers Brewery until it closed in 1927. Reasons given for its closure was there was never more than a dozen customers with only 177 barrels and 374 dozen bottles being sold that year .
Former location of Cardigan Arms / Free Trade Vaults, Islington Way (formerly George Street), Salford. (c) Google 2012. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).