This tiny pub was on the corner of and Regent Road facing Goodiers Lane, and it first opened as the Church Inn from 1863. It soon became the Peeping Tom and was acquired by the Empress Brewery in 1908 who gave the pub maroon and blue tiling on the ground floor, which remained with the pub as it passed to Walkers Brewery, then Tetley's, before it closed in 1977 . The 'Tom' was described as the best pint on Regent Road, perhaps because it didn't have central heating so the cellar was cold and kept the ale cool . Another story goes that the Peeping Tom had a white line painted down the centre of pub which demarked the lounge and the vault - if you stood on the vault side the beer was a few pence cheaper !
Peeping Tom, Regent Road, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
2. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).