The Blue Bell stood on the corner of Carruthers Street and Mill Street and was a Wilsons house when it closed in 1959 . These days a row of council houses ends at this spot at the corner of Carruthers Street and Old Mill Street. When it opened in 1823 it as the Masonic Inn on Hallsworth Street as Mill Street was once known. Six years later it was the Blue Bell and had a seven-barrel brewery a decade later .
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).