Hyde Park Corner, Silk Street, Salford, 1930s. (c) Nil Richardson .
The Hyde Park Corner on Silk Street was demolished in the 1990s, but Joseph Holt's soon rebuilt it and reopened their new estate pub in April 1992, which continues today as one of old Salford's few survivors. The original beerhouse opened in the 1840s and in the 1880s, the Hyde Park Corner Inn was bought by Fulford & Company Brewers of Hulme, then Empress Brewery, who added the cement rendering that lasted until the end. It passed to Walkers of Warrington and although it survived the St Matthias clearance scheme in 1956, the demolition of the Silk Street flats saw the Hyde Park Corner close as a Tetley's house in the early '80s.
Hyde Park Corner, Silk Street, Salford, 1986. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr .
1. Salford Pubs Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).