Today the junction of Whitworth Street West and Albion Street is an open area, with the City Road Inn on one corner and the Hacienda (apartments rather than club these days) on the other. Before Whitworth Street West was built the road was South Junction Street where it ran beside the railway, east of Albion Street. To the west of Albion Street was a concentrated block of houses between the railway and canal. Just about where the City Road Inn is today was the Hawthorn Tavern on the corner of Albion Street and the long-lost Smith Street, diagonally opposite the Gaythorn Vaults .
1. Manchester (Oxford Street & Gaythorn) 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2010).