Victory Tavern, Angel Street. (c) Together Trust .
The Victory Tavern stood at the bottom of Angel Street, backing onto Ashley Lane and facing St Michael's Square. It was is first mentioned as the Victory Tavern in 1823, and by 1846 is listed the Victoria Tavern . It's shown on Adshead's 1851 map as the Victoria Tavern, across the road from St Michael's Church and St Michael's Tavern, with the Weavers Arms (the great Angel Meadow survivor, the Angel) up the road .
Victoria Tavern, Angel Street (top left). Adshead at Digital Archives .
The Victoria Tavern appears to have ceased being a beerhouse in 1881 when it was turned into the Old Victory Coffee House & Boys Refuse , and is later listed as a city mission hall . In 1891 it's still called the Old Victory, while the old St Michael's Tavern is the Church Inn .
Victory Tavern, Angel Street (top, centre). (c) Old Maps .
The Boys' home was opened on 26th October 1881 by local MP, Henry Lee, and was to provide temporary help and a bed for up to 18 lads who lived in the common lodging houses around Angel Meadow and Ancoats , and by was a coffee house. Sadly, by 1908 the building was derelict as seen at the archives , and was demolished in 1927.
Former location of the Victory Tavern, Angel Street. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
The former location of the Victory Tavern is immortalised by the famous L.S. Lowry, as seen here courtesy of the Friends of Angel Meadow .
2. The Old Pubs of Rochdale Road and neighbourhood Manchester, Bob Potts (1985).
3. Adshead's Twenty Four Illustrated Maps of the Township of Manchester divided into Municipal Wards, 1851 at Digital Archives.