Railway Inn, Wrigley Head, Failsworth. (c) Rob Magee .
The Railway Inn beerhouse opened at No.59 Wrigley Head, Failsworth in the 1830s, but was not called that originally. It was only the opening of the Oldham to Manchester railway in 1880 that gave the Railway Inn its name. The introduction of the 1904 Compensation Act, introduced to cull unwanted and structurally unsound beerhouses, saw off the Railway Inn. It was one of the first Failsworth boozers to close and was marked for closure at the brewster sessions in 1908. The Railway Inn used to stand roughly facing Evening Street .
Former location of Railway Inn, Wrigley Head. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. Failsworth Pubs 1731-1995 and their licensees, Rob Magee (1995).