The Grapes is traced back to 1877 in David Rowlinson's book, when it was leased to Groves & Whitnall brewery. It was described a a 'messuage' or beerhouse on the corner of Warwick Street and Bury New Road .
Grapes, Bury New Road. (c) David Rowlinson .
In 1888 Groves and Whitnall bought the Grapes and the pub is shown above in 1967 still with the brewery signage, although they had been swallowed up by Greenall Whitley six years earlier .
Grapes, Bury New Road. (c)
In the 1990s under Greenall Whitley, the Grapes was renamed slightly for to the rather obvious Grapes of Prestwich, a name it appeared to use on and off until its closure in about 2009.
The Grapes closed and was tinned up for a while, but has recently had a new lease of life as the Turquoise Cafe.
The Grapes was locally famous in the 1950s for the landlord only having one arm, so the regulars bought him a hook to help him pour pints .
The Grapes wasn't on the Pub Shaman of Prestwich's route, so mustn't have been that good...
Former Grapes, Bury New Road. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
1. A History of Prestwich Pubs, David Rowlinson.