British Queen, North Dean Street, Swinton. (c) Neil Richardson & Roger Hall .
The British Queen was also known as the Spragg Inn and stood on North Dean Street which ran off Bolton Road in Swinton. It dates back to the 1860s and ended up in the hands of Watson, Woodhead and Wagstaffe brewers of Salford. In 1902 the British Queen was marked for closure as it had a rateable value of just £15 per year, and 1840 legislation required beerhouses to be rated higher than that. The Quarter Sessions' decision was postponed for a few years and the Spragg in stayed open until 1909 despite its dilapidated, propped-up state for its last 10 years. The beerhouse and the rest of the terrace were demolished in 1914 .
1. The Pubs of Swinton & Pendlebury (including Clifton and Newtown), Neil Richardson & Roger Hall (1980).