Former Rock Inn, Tatton Street, Ordsall, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson, Tony Flynn, Alan Gall .
The Rock Inn was at the easterly end of Tatton Street on the corner with Oldfield Road, opening in the 1860s. By the early 1900s the Watson, Woodhead & Wagstaffe brewers owned the beerhouse and it survived the 1909 and 1910 brewster sessions, despite having rooms that were too small and a convicted gambler landlord that did the "long pull" (served oversized ales). Although WW&W promised to improve on its four-per-week beer barrelage, the Rock Inn was handed to Walker & Homfray due to brewery financial problems. Unfortunately the Rock was closed in 1913 and the building was used as dining rooms in the 1930s before being demolished in about 1970 . The "Rock Inn" sign on the side of the building was still visible for the 50-odd years after the beerhouse closed . Today in the redeveloped Ordsall the eastern end of Tatton Street on the corner with Oldfield Road is St Bartholomew's Drive.
Former location of Rock Inn, Tatton Street. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
1. Salford's Pubs 4, Neil Richardson, Tony Flynn, Alan Gall (1980).
2. Salford Pubs Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton (2003).