Justice Birch, Hyde Road, West Gorton. (c) Manchester Local Image Collection. Click here to view full image .
Seen here in 1971 and a year later in 1972, the Justice Birch stood on Hyde Road in West Gorton. Originally part of a row of shops and houses (below in 1891), in later years it was more isolated with only a 'Wash 'n' Shop' for company.
Justice Birch, Hyde Road. (c) Old Maps .
The Justice Birch was a Wilsons house and before closure, the Watney's signs appeared after the London brewer bought Newton Heath's Wilsons. Despite that, next to the pub was a Chesters advert as seen in 1971 and a year later, an advert for 23 pence fags.
Former location of Justice Birch, Hyde Road. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
The Justice Birch has a little place in history as the location of Gorton AFC's (forerunners of Manchester City) first annual dinner on 20th April 1885 . Today the old location of the pub, No.177 Hyde Road , is marked by the new flats between Pottery Lane and Clowes Street.