Former location of Gas Tavern Gould Street. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
The Gas Tavern stood on Gould Street, spanning Carters Place and Pleasant Place. This location, even in the mid-1800s, faced the gas works, and today the British Gas Gould Street site is still over the road. You can see the still-serving and ever-busy Marble Arch (known as the Wellington for most of its life, as on the 1851 map, below) up the road. The Marble Arch was a popular watering hole for the British Gas staff, along with the sorely-missed Pot of Beer (Harp & Shamrock) and the brilliant Beer House (now the superb Angel). The Tobacco Factory that sits on the site of the old Gas Tavern have been converted to flats, but the old street layout of Carters Place and Pleasant Place is still present.
Gas Tavern, Gould Street, 1851. (c) Adshead at Digital Archives .
1. Adshead's Twenty Four Illustrated Maps of the Township of Manchester divided into Municipal Wards, 1851 at Digital Archives.