New Inn, Rochdale Road, Harpurhey. (c) Roger Hall .
The New Inn used to stand on the corner of Moston Lane and Rochdale Road in Harpurhey. Shown above in the 1950s it's also seen here as a Chesters house twice in 1958, 1968 and 1971. The New Inn was just south of the Farm Yard on the other side of the road, opposite the still-serving Top Derby and diagonally opposite the recently lost Golden Tavern. The Wellington Inn was just a hundred yards or so along Moston Lane. The New Inn was built in about 1829 and by the 1870s was owned by Chesters Brewery. It passed to Threlfalls then Whitbread in 1967 but was bricked up and demolished in 1978 .
Former location of New Inn, Rochdale Road. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
1. The Pubs of Blackley, Roger Hall (1980).