Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Tuesday, 29 April 2014

Church Inn, Church Street

Church Inn, Church Street, Eccles, 1987. (c) Alan Winfield with permission.

The Church Inn stood on Church Street in Eccles, first serving in 1826 and for years it was actually listed as the Church Inn & Bowling Green.  A claim to fame for the Church Inn is that John Moores of Littlewoods Pools, and later, Everton FC's board, was born in the pub as his dad was landlord at the turn of the century [1].

Church Inn, Church Street, Eccles. (c) Tony Flynn [1].

Pictured above in 1959, the Church Inn had a fine bowling green (now part of Eccles Rec) and national matches were held here, "Open To All England" with £10 stakes.  In terms of breweries, the Church first belonged to Wagstaffe's Lion Brewery of Hulme, who were then taken over by Walker & Homfrays, who in turn became part of Wilsons in 1949 [1]. 

Church Inn, Church Street. (c) Tony Flynn [1].

The Church Inn closed at some point in the 2000s and has been demolished, replaced by a car lot.  Having stood at No.215 Church Street, the old Church Inn's location was behind the bus stop facing the still-open Dog & Partridge, as seen in Alan Winfield's 1987 photo of the pub (and his wife), top.

Former location of Church Inn, Church Street. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.

1. A History of the Pubs of Eccles, Tony Flynn (1982).

No comments:

Post a Comment