Commercial Inn, Lime Bank Street, Ardwick. (c) Manchester Local Image Collection. Click here to view full image .
The Commercial Inn was a Groves & Whitnall beerhouse on Lime Bank Street, north off Ashton Old Road in Ardwick. Its sign advertises Red Rose ales, as per the rose sign favoured by G&W after WWII . In the 1964 photo at the archives, the Commercial Inn is shown on the corner of Napier Street looking towards Meadow Street and Ashton Old Road beyond.
Commercial Inn, Lime Bank Street, 1891. (c) www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html .
The 1891 map shows that building that the Commercial was or became, and also shows the Lime Bank Works that gave the street its unusual name. What was once a busy residential and industrial street, and which used to run on to an iron foundry, is now a quiet, cobbled road with a dead end at the small council house estate off Viaduct Street.
Former location of Commercial, Lime Bank Street. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.