Rose & Crown, Broad Street, Salford. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr .
The Rose & Crown was one of the first pubs to open along Broad Road and opened in around 1823 on the corner of Booth Street when John Beeston moved over from the Windsor Castle. When Hardy & Sons took over the run down pub in 1889 they were allowed to rebuild, and in 1891 the grand new Rose & Crown Hotel opened. The brewery also rebuilt the shop next door which later became a Salford City Reporter office, as shown above in 1970. In the 1960s, Tetley's took over the Rose & Crown but it was sadly pulled down in 1971  for the building of the grim flats and council housing that masqueraded as redevelopment. Not much as taken its place except for Belvedere Road which runs parallel to Broad Street here.
Former location of Rose & Crown, Broad Street. (c) Google 2012. View Larger Map.
2. Salford Pubs - Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).