Feathers, Laundry Street, Brindleheath. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr .
The Feathers beerhouse on Laundry Street can be dated back to at least 1858 on the corner of Radley Street, just north of Cobden Street. Although this part of Salford - Brindleheath - is largely barren and semi-industrialised today, in the 1880s it was rapidly growing in population. However, the Feathers beerhouse was denied a full licence to serve the influx in 1876, but by 1904 was owned by Walker & Homfray who extended it into the house next door .
By 1961, when this photo of the Feathers as a Wilsons was taken, all the houses around had been razed to the ground, but the boozer kept going for many more years. By 1987, the owners, Grand Metropolitan, advertised it for sale for £35,000, but by 1988 the Feathers was closed and demolished . These days, an industrial yard marks the spot of the old Feathers.
Former location of Feathers, Laundry Street, Brindleheath. (c) Google 2012. View Larger Map.
2. Salford Pubs - Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).