George IV, New George Street, Smithfield Market. (c) Neil Richardson .
The George VI was a Wilsons house on Smithfield Market in the city centre. As with the other boozers around the busy market (including those facing onto it - The Sun, New Market Inn, Spread Eagle, Man in the Moon and the surviving Smithfield Market Tavern), the George IV opened early doors to cater for the market workers. On the corner of Higher Oswald Street and New George Street, the pub was also known as the Coronation Tavern in the 1880s . This 1966 photo shows the view down New George Street from Shudehill, with the George IV on the left.
George IV, New George Street, Smithfield Market (left). (c) Alan Godfrey Maps .
1. A History of Wilsons Brewery 1834-1984, Neil Richardson (1983).
2. Manchester (New Cross) 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2009).