Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Thursday, 10 May 2012

Church Inn, Albert Street / Mulberry Road

Church Inn, Mulberry Road, Pendleton. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr [1].

This photo of the Church Inn on Mulberry Road in Pendleton is a perfect evocation of Salford old and new; the old Walkers house squatted proudly amongst the newly erected but grim tower blocks. The Church Inn beerhouse opened on Albert Street in 1861 and Walkers of Warrington were owners by the turn of the century.  One hundred years ago in 1912, tenant John Madsley is pictured in the doorway of the Church [2]. 

Church Inn, Mulberry Road, 1973. (c) Arthur Brougham with family's permission.

Although Tetley's brewery took over in the 1960s, the Walkers signs remained as the whole area was redeveloped around the Church.  These changes meant that Albert Street become Mulberry Road in the remodelled Pendleton and sadly the Church Inn was pulled down in 1976 [2].

Church Inn, Albert Street. (c) Neil Richardson [2].

Mulberry Road still runs through this part of Salford today, although it is gated off so it's hard to work out precisely where the old Church Inn once stood.

Former location of Church Inn, Mulberry Street. (c) Google 2012. View Larger Map.

2. Salford Pubs - Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).

1 comment:

  1. This satellite view shows Mulberry Court with St Paul's Church to the right.
    The Church Inn was situated near the South East corner of Mulberry, roughly near the bush the white Transit van is facing toward.