Next door to Jollies (formerly St Philips Hotel) the top of Oldfield Road near to Chapel Street was the tiny Prince of Wales. It was known locally as "Little's", not due to its size and probably not to differentiate it from the other Prince of Wales further down Oldfield Road either, but because it was run by the Little family from 1910 to the 1950s. As pointed out by Mr Wilson, it was fairly common to have two similarly named pubs in proximity to each other, and for them to be known as the "Big ..." and "Little ..." - the Big Queens and Little Queens on Regent Road, the Big Derby and Little Derby on Derby Street in Ordsall, and the Big Dover and Little Dover in Higher Broughton (both still surviving).
Prince of Wales, Oldfield Road, Salford. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr.
The Prince of Wales opened a couple of years after its neighbour, the St Philips Hotel, as the Horse and Groom beerhouse in about 1838. By the 1870s it was renamed the Prince of Wales and was a Groves & Whitnall house towards the end of the century. The aforementioned Littles took over in 1910 and by the 1950s it was a Tetley's house. The Prince of Wales or "Little's" closed in 1983 and reopened as Chung's Chippy . Three decades later and the chippy is still going, despite its old neighbour being demolished.
Former Prince of Wales, Oldfield Road, Salford. (c) Google 2011. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).