-Hobsons Choice, Oldfield Road, Salford. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s .
Hobsons Choice stood on the corner of Cow Lane and Oldfield Road as a Whitbred house until 1999 when it was demolished, having closed in 1993. Originally the Brown Cow, the beerhouse it opened in 1862 and was rebuilt by Chesters Brewery at some point. As Chesters merged with Threlfalls, they were then taken over by Whitbread in 1968, who were responsible for the name change to Hobsons Choice in 1976 for its last 17 years. The name Hobsons Choice probably comes from the famous 1954 film, set, as it was, in Salford, and possibly filmed nearby on Oldfield Road. As is ever the case, nothing has been done to the site of the old pub since demolition.
Brown Cow, Oldfield Road, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
2. 1. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).