The Mitre Inn actually started out as the Mitre Wine Bar in 1866 under Allsopps Brewery. It modified its name and survived under the Walker Cain Brewery until 1966 , although the brick building pictured at number 63 Stretford Road was probably an update on the original pub. Sadly the pub and its neighbouring boozers and shops, on what was once Hulme's bustling thoroughfare, were demolished in the late '60s. Today the old location of the Mitre is this block of new-build flats in the shadow of the Hulme Arch which spans Princess Parkway.
Former location of Mitre Inn, Stretford Road, Hulme. (c) Google 2011. View Larger Map.
2. The Old Pub of Hulme & Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).