The Ivy House looks strangely reminiscent of some of the Hulme estate pubs of the 1970s, despite the fact it closed in 1938 as an Empress Brewery house, having opened in 1862 . It had previously been a Peter Walker & Son's house and stood on Chapman Street, a road which is long-gone since the Hulme redevelopments, but ran just north and parallel to the existing Warwick Street. The surviving Junction and new-build Kim-By-The-Sea pubs are a stones throw from where the Ivy House once stood.
1. The Old Pubs of Hulme Manchester (1) 1770-1930, Bob Potts (1983).