Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Sunday, 15 June 2014

Station Hotel / Welcome Inn, Bolton Road

Station Hotel, Bolton Road, Pendlebury, Salford. (c) St Augustines Heritage [1].

Taking its name from the old Pendlebury Railway Station opposite, which closed in 1960 and its island platform removed in 1978, the Station Hotel actually started its life as the Welcome Inn, dating back to 1867.  This closed in 1885 and the a new Welcome Inn was built by the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company.


Staion Hotel (bottom right), Bolton Road. (c) Salford Council [2].

Walker & Homfrays, then the Empress Brewery and Walkers of Warrington had stakes in the pub but it was rebuilt just before WWII.  As seen from the above aerial view of the site, the Station Hotel (bottom right) backs onto the grounds of St Augustines Church [2].

Former Station Hotel, Bolton Road. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.

During the 1960s the Station Hotel and its neighbour, the Wellington, put on comedians and stripper shows and in the '70s the beer on offer was keg Tetley's.  The Station Hotel closed a number of years ago, but is till in use as a licensed premises of sorts - it's now the Isis Restaurant.

Former Station Hotel, Bolton Road. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.

2. www.salford.gov.uk/d/conservation-appraisal-st-augustines-web-3.pdf
3. The Pubs of Swinton & Pendlebury (Including Clifton and Newtown), Neil Richardson & Roger Hall (1980).

No comments:

Post a Comment