Beehive, York Street, Chorlton-on-Medlock. (c) Bob Potts .
The Beehive stood at No.45 York Street, just a couple of doors down from the Royal Brew Vaults on Charles Street. The above photo from the 1950s shows the Royal Brew on the left and the whitewashed Beehive on the right, more than 30 years after it had closed, which happened in 1915. The Beehive had been a Yates's Castle Brewery and opened in 1861 [1,2]. In more recent times, this spot has seen the coming and going of the Oxford Road BBC site, under demolition below and now a sorry-looking car park.
Former location of Beehive, York Street from Charles Street. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
1. The Old Pubs of Chorlton-upon-Medlock, Bob Potts (1980).
2. The Old Pubs of Hulme & Chorlton -on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).