Park Hotel, Lowther Road, Prestwich. (c) David Rowlinson .
The Park Hotel stood on Lowther Road on the corner with Gale Road facing towards Prestwich Clough. It was demolished in 2005 to supposedly make way for new flats but these have never been built. The site remains empty and several years ago there were reports of kids playing in the ruins of the building and even in the exposed pub cellars .
The Park Hotel was build on the site of a huge 42-roomed house called 'The Cottages' which was demolished in the early 20th century. Threlfalls Brewery eventually bought the land in 1936-37 and the pub was built, opening in February 1938. It had a bowling green that became its car park, and the pub passed to Chesters in 1961 then Whitbread (as seen above), such were brewery mergers back then.
Former location of Park Hotel, Lowther Road. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
1. A History of Prestwich Pubs, David Rawlinson (1975).