Spinners, Swinton Hall Road, Pendlebury. (c) Neil Richardson & Roger Hall .
The Spinners opened in 1860 at No.297 Swinton Hall Road, Pendlebury, named after the Acme Mill opposite, and it was this which also gave the beerhouse its nickname. It was known as the 'Stinking Stocking', as millworkers would warm their weary and sweaty feet over the fire in the Spinners. The Spinners lasted until the mill closure and slum clearance in the Bilston area around Albion Street meant it lost too much of its custom. It closed for good just after World War II . The building shown at 297 Swinton Hall Road looks a remarkably like the old Spinners, though we await confirmation of this.
Possible former Spinners, Swinton Hall Road. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
1. The Pubs of Swinton & Pendlebury (Including Clifton and Newtown), Neil Richardson & Roger Hall (1980).