Ship, Coupland Street, Chorlton-on-Medlock. (c) Bob Potts .
Pictured above in about 1910, the Ship on Coupland Street in Chorlton-on-Medlock opened in 1839. It was a Groves & Whitnall house for most of its time, as above, and closed in 1965 . The Ship stood at No.55 Coupland Street, straddling two smaller, unknown streets, just off the bottom end of Higher Cambridge Street. This location still exists today although Higher Cambridge Street has been extended south slightly across Coupland Street, which today is fenced off University property. The site of the old Ship is where the below image if taken from, and marked by an artificial football pitch.
Former location of the Ship, Coupland Street. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
1. The Old Pubs of Chorlton-upon-Medlock, Bob Potts (1980).
2. The Old Pubs of Hulme & Chorlton -on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).