Millstone, Blackley New Road, Blackley. (c) novaloca.
The Millstone, a basic two-roomed and now sadly-closed pub, at the junction of Mill Brow and Blackley New Road in Blackley near the old Avecia, Zenace and ICI Building, now known as the Hexagon Tower technology site. The unusual topography of the location means there is ground floor access to the basement at the rear of the Millstone on Mill Brow.
Millstone, Blackley New Road. (c) eigroup.
The Millstone was one of Blackley's first beerhouses, dating back to at least 1832 when it was described as a cottage and shop with a license to sell beer. Wheater & Swales brewery took over later in the 1880s and must have been responsible for its rebuild into what we see today. Swales Brewery formed from this company, moving from Salford to Hulme where "Swales Swill" was brewed into the 1970s until it was swallowed up by Boddingtons , as seen in 1972.
Millstone, Blackley New Road. (c) Roger Hall .
This 1966 photo ("Mine's a Swales") is also shown at the archives with the old works clearly visible in the background. The Millstone also had an official cellar entrance round the back too, as seen in 1958. The Millstone closed for good a couple of years ago and was last seen tinned up and being hawked around for auction.
Millstone, Blackley New Road. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
1. The Pubs of Blackley, Roger Hall (1980).