Plough Inn, Pott Street, Ancoats. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Plough Inn stood at the top of Pott Street on the corner with New Islington in Ancoats, as seen here in 1967. It closed in 1970 and Pott Street was where the Cardroom Estate and the canal wharf were built. The Plough Inn can be traced back to 1820 and may have briefly been known as the Wool Pack. Advertisements in the 1830s and '40s refer to the Plough & Cotton Trade (see above 1836 advert) and in the 1860s it was the Exhibition Inn .
Former location of Plough Inn, Pott Street, from New Union Street. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).