Number IV Tavern, Hope Street, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson & Tony Flynn .
This public house was an eventual casualty of the Manchester to Bolton railway which opened in the 1840s. The Number IV Tavern had been Hope Street's oldest pub, opening in 1805 and eventually having its own brewhouse like many of Salford's original pubs. The Empress Brewery had the Number IV by the early 1900s but the pub had to be pulled down in 1915 when the railway sidings were extended . The old Number IV Tavern stood approximately here where the tree is, and the Prince of Wales was further along on the other side of Hope Street on the corner with Oldfield Road.
Former location of Number IV Tavern, Hope Street. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. Salford's Pubs 1, Neil Richardson & Tony Flynn (1978).
2. Salford Pubs Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).